Friday, March 12, 2010

ANOTHER BUSY DAY AT THE OLE HOME PLACE!

The past 24 hours have been hectic!

Yesterday we signed the contract on having our house completely remodeled and my rate of packing continues on a more frenzied pace all afternoon. Then things became even more interesting when I smelled gas outside last night (I have been smelling it off and on for years but no one else could! I mentioned it to our builder and he said to call the gas company the next time I smelled it) so hubby called the gas company. The gas man arrived at our door about 8:30 p.m. and found a leak by our front porch--probably been there for years. He said they had to fix it last night because it was within 10 feet of our front door. He called his supervisor who arrived about 9:30 and checked out the readings on the machine they had that detected the gas all around our front porch and front sidewalk. The supervisor called the backhoe crew and a huge truck with a mammoth digging machine arrived about 10:30 p.m.! That woke most of the neighbors up and when the men started taking out our sidewalk with a jack hammer the rest of them gathered on our front lawn. The supervisor found what he thought was the exact site of the gas leak so the men only took a large rectangular shape out of our sidewalk, and then the men began digging up the pipe. The supervisor chased all of us out of the yard and they went to work.


When it came time to cut the pipe, gas shot way up into the dark sky and the terrific whoosh of noise could be heard way in the back of our yard where I ran to hide behind our trees to avoid being blown up in case there was an explosion. My husband laughed at me, but I noticed he stayed by my side until the gas was finally cut off. The men covered up the hole and left us about 11:15 but the meter man still had to come and reset our meter and turn our gas back on. He arrived at midnight. By that time I had fallen asleep and barely heard him working on the meter. This morning we once again had hot water but I was a little bleary-eyed after so much going on. I have decided that I do not need very much more trauma/drama around here for a while!

3 comments:

  1. WOW....I'm guessing that leak has been there for awhile and it's lucky there wasn't a major problem with it. Good luck with the packing for the remodel. Will you be able to live in the house while it's being done??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so scary! Happy to hear no one got hurt!

    Hope the packing goes well and you get a chance to rest up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever feel inclined to write a formal memoir, stories like this one will ensure there is plenty of tension. I especially love the part where you hid behind the trees and your husband scoffed and stayed with you. I'll bet your neighbors carped a little, but deep down they got a kick out of the excitement, and the story will be part of neighborhood legend.

    Exciting to hear you are so near that transition point where you move into your temporary quarters.

    ReplyDelete