Thursday, February 18, 2010

IN COWTOWN

I came to Fort Worth with my husband and I am enjoying the city while he goes to meetings. We are staying in a newly renovated hotel with incredible, huge photographs that are the artwork in the lobby, the hallways and in our room. Below is a photograph of spurs that is over the toilet in the bathroom. I would love to paint those spurs with all of that wonderful scroll work on them!

This morning I went to the Kimbell Museum and spent several long hours with my nose up close to the beautiful paintings studying the intricacies of their brushstrokes. I especially enjoy the artists of the 1500s and 1600s. Some of those paintings have detail that is just amazing!

My brother and I have been interested in sharing photographs of cloud formations for more than a year now. I was delighted to find several paintings of cloud formations by a Fort Worth artist and thought that I could paint several pictures like this one below!

I am also taking pictures and notes about how I DO NOT want my bathroom to be renovated. The lighting in this dark brown bathroom is so poor that I am not sure where my makeup went when I put it on this morning! There is one can light over the mirror and two very dull lighting fixtures on each side. There is even a lighted magnifying mirror, but none of them cast enough light in the stylish, but poorly lighted, dark brown bathroom. And the toilet paper holder requires a great deal of flexibility in reaching almost behind my back to grab the paper. I have two pages of notes for our builder on ways that I do not want my bathroom remodeled!
Tonight we went to the Museum of Modern Art for a dinner and had a tour of the art with a docent. It was very informative and the food was wonderful! I am so glad I had this respite from packing up our house and have learned so much about art on this trip.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an inspiring and uplifting trip, and I hear you big time about the poor bathroom lighting and contortionist reach for paper. And I'll bet you're planning to reword the list for your contractor, converting it to positive attributes to strive for rather than potholes and power poles to avoid.

    Above all, let there be light!

    ReplyDelete