Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Quirk #2 - Time Schedules

2. I am a stickler for time schedules. I make up my daily schedule each morning and getting off schedule sometimes rattles me. I think I passed this quirk on to at least one of my sons!


I keep a calendar on my kitchen table where I can consult it each morning and prepare myself mentally for the day ahead. See attached picture--although only I can decipher the lines, the arrows, the small print, color codes, and notes that often adorn the margins. I also use the smallest Post-It notes to insert temporary notes or changes in the schedule.

The calendar is small and someone recently mentioned to me that I needed a larger Day Planner with numerous lines for each day. My reply was a distinct 'NO' because this almost-checkbook-sized calendar is easy to slip into my purse without adding weight, carry in my pocket if necessary, and pack into a carry-on bag when I am traveling. In other words, it works for me.

I am a stickler for knowing what my schedule is each day. If I have to change, I am okay with that, but I do like to know what is going on each day. I am not a very good "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of person. One of my sons called the other day and complained that he was on a trip with people who made up their schedule as they went along and it was really bothering him. He said that he liked to know early in the morning what the plan was for the day. I could relate to that comment myself, and I could also remember hearing him (even as a young boy) wake up on weekends and want to know what the plan was for the weekend. Guess he inherited that trait from me. Sorry about that!

Write about your way of dealing with time and with schedules. Do you need a plan for each day or are you a "go with the flow" kind of person? What meaning does the word "time" have for you?

5 comments:

  1. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was that I am one of the plan-as-you-go type of people, but maybe not. Maybe I'm somewhere in the middle. I do keep a calendar similar to yours, but I visualize the day without looking at it. You are so generous to give us a glimpse of your well-marked-up calendar and schedule, and you fed an idea I've had about planning that I'm now going to try. Thanks for the extra nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts, Ritergal. I will be anxious to hear about this new idea as it takes shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey pat! I think I am also very schedule oriented. I actually used to be much more so as a little kid, but I guess I've learned to be a bit more flexible as I've gotten older. See you at the gym! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Amy. I think, from looking at your blogs that you are VERY schedule oriented with your training schedule. But that is how you accomplish so much. More power to you! See you at the gym--but I feel like a slug compared to your training schedule!

    ReplyDelete