Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A CHRISTMAS TREAT

This cookie has become a tradition in our family during the Holidays:


FORGOTTEN COOKIES
2 egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 12 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate bits
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 375°F for 15 minutes. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar until thoroughly mixed. Fold in chocolate and nuts. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil, or use a silicone baking sheet. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto lined cookie sheet, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Place cookie sheet in oven and turn oven off. Leave cookies in oven (without opening the oven door!) until oven has completely cooled. Makes about 2 dozen.


I usually divide the beaten egg whites into two bowls. I add chocolate chips to one batch along with red food coloring. To the other bowl I add chopped walnuts or pecans and green food coloring. I sometimes leave some of the cookies white. They make a nice platter of cookies.


I used to make these cookies in the evening and leave them in the oven overnight. My boys could usually tell when I had made the cookies and sometime during the night they raided the oven. The next morning when I would open the oven, there were often more blank spaces than cookies on the cookie sheets.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I used to eat these!! Loved them! I would bake them now but can't do chocolate anymore. Getting old has its drawbacks for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those sound good! i still want to make those cranberry ones you posted sometime before thanksgiving. i don't know if i could leave them in the oven until it's completely cool... i would keep peaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, well my boys could not leave them there either. They ate them—probably before they were even done! But they always bugged me until I made them again.

    ReplyDelete