Friday, December 5, 2008

FRUGAL FRIDAY

I figure I am saving a bundle of money this year by staying home making my Christmas presents. Seems like I tend to go into a store and see things that I just have to buy. If I stay out of stores, then I am not tempted to buy things I see.

I do need to do some shopping soon, but I plan to take a specific list along with my Christmas list and that should hinder impulse buying if I STICK TO THE LIST!

Meanwhile, meander over to my daughter-in-law Kara's blog and see her neat Frugal Friday hint for Christmas evergreens to use in decorating.

And here is a recipe for PATCHWORK SOUP MIX that would be great for gift-giving:

1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup dried split peas
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 cup dry lentils
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried sage
DIRECTIONS
1. In a wide mouth pint jar layer barley, split peas, rice, and lentils.
2. In plastic bag combine parsley, garlic, pepper, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, & sage.
3. Decorate jar lid and attach seasoning packet with ribbon to jar. Attach a recipe card with the following directions: 1. Empty jar contents into a colander and rinse. 2. Place contents in a large stockpot and cover with 10 cups water. 3. Stir in 1 chopped medium onion, and the seasoning packet. 4. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Check after 30 minutes and add additional water if necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I tried making my own wreath once from the evergreens my dad trimmed off our christmas tree. It didn't work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've nominated you for an award. Stop by my blog and see!

    ReplyDelete